Friday, March 24, 2017

Little Tyke; A Review


My first Blog posted on March 23 was about a book which was one of the first books I read after beginning my work in the book world.  This 2nd book is about the first book I remember buying when I was about 6 or 7 years old.  The title of the book is “LITTLE TYKE”—the true story of the gentle lioness who won America’s heart, which was featured in motion pictures, television, and public appearances.
This is an amazing story about a lion cub that was rejected by her mother and Gorges H Westbeau, the curator of the Zoo, brought her home to be raised at he and his wife’s Hidden Valley Ranch.  The couple raised the cub on a vegetarian diet. She was also very gentle with people and animals which are characteristics you would not expect from a lion offspring.
The cub appeared on several television shows, including the Art Baker’s Hollywood show “YOU ASKED FOR IT,” where she appeared in 1955.
Public response to the program showed that she was one of the best liked performers to appear on the show that year.
The cover of the book shows the cub with a lamb, which is a foretaste of heaven and the new earth where all God’s creatures, animals and humans alike will live in peace with each other.
This fascinating book which was originally published in 1956 has been reprinted and is available for purchase at book stores. To order by phone call 1-800-765-6955
I purchased this book during camp meeting where a Book and Bible house was set up for selling books like this but that nearly never happened because I recall finding myself short of money to pay for the book! A doctor who was a friend of our family happened to be in the store and gave me the 25 cents that I needed to purchase the book.
That may seem like not much but it was a lot of money back then.
Indeed, so much so that my mother sternly instructed me when I got back to her that we did not let people give us money but she did not make me give the money back or to return the book to the store.
Little Tykes story is one that can inspire us to live peaceably together on this earth and also to look forward to the new heaven and the new earth where we will always all harmoniously live with each as the little cub did despite all odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment