Wednesday, May 23, 2018

No Heil Hitler: A Review

No Heil Hitler: A Review

The Author Paul Cieslar was a young man of 10 years old in 1939 in Poland.  As requested by his father, was watching their cattle at about 9:30 in the morning when 3 German fighter planes flew toward him at a terrifying speed. The first plane fired its guns and Paul could hear the trees above his head splintering as the stream of bullets hit them!
Terrified Paul ran and recounts as follows what happened next:

I forgot about the sharp stones on the rough farm track that might cut my bare feet. I forgot about the cattle. I forgot that my father had shown special trust in me to look after them. I ran as fast as I could from the frightening scene.

Then as suddenly as the planes had appeared, the mountainside was quiet again. After the noise of the fighters, the stillness was eerie. I wondered for a moment if I had dreamed it. But branches were still falling from the shot up trees, reminding me of the reality that I had just experienced. I kept running. Arriving breathless at the farmhouse, I hoped my father would not be angry that I had left the cattle.

My father already stood with the rest of the family in front of our farmhouse.
           “Dad, I’m scared!” I shouted not caring who heard me.

My father remained cool. It was a great comfort to me-to all of us I think- that he remained calm, seeming in control of the situation. He gathered us around a large linden tree. He hesitated for a moment gathering his thoughts then spoke. “The war has begun. It is going to be a tough time for all of us.”
Paul tells of many of the things that happened to him and his family during the years of the 2nd World War. How the Germans came into Poland and took it over and for a short period of time things were better for them. Very shortly though, that changed.

Paul was able to go to the mountains to shepherd sheep in order not to be in harm’s way for many months. However, eventually when he came back home he was kidnapped and sent to Germany to be trained as a Hitler Youth.  On April 5, 1945 a special announcement was made to the boys that they would be traveling to Berlin to fight the Russians.
Paul determined with a friend to desert which they did and through the grace of God they safely arrived back to Poland.

Nearly 30 years later Paul now living in England was asked to speak to an international conference as the keynote speaker and tell about his experience during the war. He gave his talk then a German lady in attendance asked if he could forgive “us Germans.” She said, “be honest!”
Paul quickly thought and prayed- his answer was:

Dear lady, my answer will be honest and truthful because I know that is what you need. It is a most difficult question and one that I have not faced in this way before. From a human perspective, it is not possible to forgive these terrible things. It is just not possible. It is not in human nature. To forgive is divine. But when I come to the foot of the cross of Calvary and realize how my beloved Redeemer washed away my sins, it is a different picture. Then forgiveness is possible.
I was very inspired by this true story and would encourage you to read it.

For more information  about the book and to order it on line  click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment