Sunday, February 18, 2018

Abraham Lincoln a Man of Faith and Courage: A Review

This book authored by Joe Wheeler contains “Stories of Our Most Admired President.” Leo Tolstoy stated, “Of all the great national heroes and statesman of history Lincoln is the only real giant.”

Abraham Lincoln is generally recognized as America’s greatest president and its central figure.
No other American leader has shaped the soul of our country like the man Abraham Lincoln. His conviction that-we as a nation-are accountable to our Divine Creator fueled his spirit to make courageous decisions in a most turbulent time. Comprising historical facts and delightful stories, this insightful book pays tribute to a great man of God.

Basically Joe Wheeler gives an overview of the life of Abraham Lincoln showing how his faith in God was a very real part of his life.
This book is filled with stories about Abraham Lincoln, Stories Abraham Lincoln told and interesting quotes by Abraham Lincoln.

It is amazing that Lincoln only spent in his entire life about 12 months in a schoolroom yet he was very well educated- much of it from reading many books.
Here are some of the quotes by Lincoln from the book;
Biographies as generally written, are not only misleading, but false. The author makes a wonderful hero of his subject. He magnifies his perfections, if he has any, and suppresses his imperfections. History is not history unless it is the truth.
All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
When I read aloud two senses catch the idea: first I see what I read; second, I hear it, and therefore I can remember it better.
The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.
I feel the need of reading, It is a loss to a man not to have grown up among books.
Some things legally right are morally wrong.
If you falter and give up, you will lose the power of keeping any resolution.
The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.
The better part of one’s life consists of his friendships
If there is anything that links the human with the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it.
I can see how it might be possible for someone to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.
In regard to the great book (the Bible), I have only to say it is the best gift which God has ever given man. All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to us through this book. But for this book we could not know right from wrong. All things desirable to man are contained in it.
I know there is a God and that He hates injustice and slavery. I see the storm coming and I know that His hand is in it. If He has a place for me, and I think He has, I believe I am ready.
Always bear in mind that your resolution to succeed is more important than any other thing,
I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for the day.
I encourage you to get a copy of this book and read it. You will be inspired by it immensely. If your local book store does not have it in stock you can order it from www.amazon.com






No comments:

Post a Comment