Sunday, February 18, 2018

Madison Park A Place Of Hope: A Review


This memoir of oer 300 pages by Eric L. Motley and is one of the most amazing stories I have read ever.
Welcome to Madison Park, an Alabama Community founded by freed slaves in 1880.

Meet Eric Motley –the following are excerpts from the prologue to this amazing book;
On my grandmother’s dressing table in her farmhouse near Montgomery, Alabama, there was a snow globe containing a tiny fairy-like replica of the White House. It was given to her by the daughter of a family whose house she used to clean. As a child, it inspired my wildest imaginings. “One day,” my grandmother would always tell me, “you can be in this globe.”
That seemed unlikely. I was an African American child born in 1972 to a teenage mom and raised by her adoptive parents-my grandparents. I called them Mama and Daddy. We lived in Madison Park, a rural always struggling Southern community founded after the Civil War by freed slaves. A safety net of neighbors, church friends, tradespeople and most of all, Mama and Daddy, held me up. The whole town had a vested interest in me. They determined to educate me and give me bone-deep confidence in my values, my abilities, and who I was. The first in my family to go to college, I went on to receive a Ph.D. After graduation I moved to Washington, D.C.
At 27 he began work at the White House.
This was one of the few times when childhood fantasy was meeting adult reality. Perseverance, hard work, and good luck had brought me here. But I knew Madison Park was the thread that stitched my life together.
You need to read the entire book but here are some of the highlights:
Madison Park near to Montgomery, Alabama began as a 560 acre plantation which a group of freed slaves bought. They made a down payment on the property in 1880 and within two years they were able to pay the $2,380.00 to pay in full for the plantation becoming the only recorded group of freed slaves in Alabama to purchase an entire estate.
Eric’s great-great grandfather was one of the freedmen who was part of the original group who established Madison Park. Eli Madison was the leader of the group that established Madison Park and the group of former slaves gathered in an open-air temple of arched trees to make a promise under God’s heaven and on the altar of God’s green earth to start their own community, take responsibility for one another and make a success of their lives.
Fast forward to the 1970’s when Eric started school, he was having a challenge reading. The teacher moved him from the “rabbit” reading group to the “turtle” reading group. When this became known, the town people rallied around and neighbors brought him books and  various ladies began a tutorial program to help him with his reading.
Eric excelled in school and eventually graduated from Samford University. From their he went to St Andrews University in Scotland and earned his Master’s degree as well as a Ph.D. Currently  he is an executive vice president of the Aspen Institute based in Washington, D.C.
I was inspired by his story and highly recommend this book. The ISBN # for this book is978-0-310-34963-1. The book is available in book stores as well as on line venues such as Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment